03 August 2010

Inking in the Outline

My next step, once I got everything in its proper place, is to ink in the outline. I am doing the whole portrait in ink because 1. its not thick like black paint 2. it blends really smoothly 3. it dries flat and doesnt show brush strokes. So basically Im going over all the lines I already drew, but with a bottle of ink and a very fine tipped brush. This actually took me most of the day to finish because this picture is huge and there is a lot of detail to it. Eleven days until opening night at the Rothick Arthaus!

On this day in 2008, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn passed away. I hope this portrait will both honor his accomplishments and inform more people about who he was and the relentless stand he took against the Soviet Union.

Tools of the trade.

ink and brush

You can see there is an area I still have to do on his chest. Im adding a flower in there and I just haven't figured out how I want to do it...

Outlined

Detail shot of the sleeve after inking in the outlines. Can you find a penguin, a polar bear, a whale, and a map?

OutlineSleeveDetail